Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My September 11th Rant... Good Deeds & Positive Thoughts to Show Our Strength!

Friends,

September 11th is nearing. Are you ready? Will the day just come and go? Will you look towards tragedy or gratitude and which will drive you through the day?

Reflections. One of the first entries I made in this blog was related to September 11th after 5 years and all the reflections that were taking place and the stand that some folks were making. If you would like to revisit that article, click here. September 11th will always be a fateful day in our history, where we as a nation, were violated from within. Taken by surprise, stripped of our “untouchable” presence in the world, and emotionally held hostage while it all unfolded. It is hard to believe that it happened, even to this day. Personally, I will never forget that time in my life even though I was on the opposite coast of the immediate tragedies. Where were you? I was still in the Navy and working for the Substance Abuse Treatment Center located at Point Loma, San Diego, helping care for residential patients dealing with their substance abuse issues. We happened to have a TV in one of the offices and we watched the events happen. We were all counselors trained in understanding emotional and behavioral issues and I think we learned a great deal about our own internal make-up that day. The following days were challenging to say the least. I was a senior person at work charged with some duties of patient care and assisting with oversight for a 7 story building. Only one third of the military were able to be there at work the following day and none of the civilian employees where allowed on base at all. I literally got a work out that day from answering phones and going throughout the building to ensure all was in good order and the patients were being taken care of. Not to mention it took an hour just get on the base. Other staff members started to trickle in on the following days, but digging into my work was the therapeutic process for me at that time. I didn’t have time to reflect at all. I stuck with dealing with the elements affecting others. It has been sometime since that day and I have taken it all in the best that I can. Since that time, I have accepted that it happened and moved forward. I went through a period of complete sorrow for the pain of others that were more attached to the locations and people directly affected, but many of them have grown into stronger souls in their own right and have inspired me to move forward. If you would like to take a few moments to reflect, here is a good website, September 11th.

Good Deeds = Good Vibes = Healthy for the Soul. Some folks are already geared up to put out their flags... but what about using just a few more minutes… probably just a couple at that… to do something positive. There is a new movement just for this occasion called “My Good Deeds” powered by Volunteer Match, Network for Good, Points of Light Foundation , & other organizations who have been putting out good vibes for years and are combining forces this year. MyGoodDeed.org asks that you “pledge” a good deed. It gives you ideas and ways to do good deeds and allows you to come up with ways on your own as well. You can have your own ideas posted (or not posted). The bottom line is that there is a concentrated focus on bringing out the best of us on that day.


Positive thoughts bring about positive results. Some say that our thoughts alone put out a powerful energy. The whole concept is much more scientific information than I can comprehend or even want to read about. But, this type of “intention manifestation” is the subject of one of the biggest best selling books called, “The Secret” and it stems from thinking that positive thoughts can send positive energy out for positive effects. I won’t bore you on the details that I read or I won’t even try to sound like I am an expert in the subject… the information is out there, the book is a great read for those who believe we are all more than a lump… but I really don’t think trying to send out positive thoughts that day could hurt either. I am going to do it. I am going to start my day with a cup of coffee and by making a list of those things that I am grateful for. I am going to write down about 5 things that I would like to see better in the world and call them my “wants”. Then, I am going to start the day fresh with a positive outlook. What could it hurt? Right now as you read this, I am attempting to send you a positive message... how am I doing? ;)

No time for political spinning that day. On that day, there will be many politicians who will focus on the events of 9/11 in order to sway a vote and they will be coming out in full force. They will use the backdrop of tragedy to profess they have a better plan for the world or tug at our heartstrings to find their place in our heart as a compassionate soul worthy of our vote. On that day, I don’t think they will get much of my attention as I will be focused on the positive and political strategies are designed to have you focus on the negatives and weaknesses in world. I am sticking with the positive and the strength that we have as a nation and as a people.

Negativity is not the choice that day. There will be many folks who will dwell on the heartache that day and generally it is because that is all they see. Possibly because they are experiencing some sort of heartache in their life or because they have a hard time finding positive in the world at all. Sometimes it is just because all some folks see is “what is in it for me?” and it drives everything they hear, everything they see, and everything they do. Bless their heart it is not their fault, they probably grew up with the thought process. There is nothing wrong with celebrating the life of people lost on that day or remembering the events of the tragedy, but would you want people to remember you and focus on sorrow? Or, would you want those left behind to never forget, learn from the tragedy, and make it stand for something that has affected each of us in a positive way? I know folks just like this and they don’t see it, but it comes out in almost everything they say and do. It generally is the reason why things are not going so well for them, because they don’t take the time to see the things that are going well. It is a fact of life and some folks live in it every day. So, I say re-evaluate your thought process and see if you are one of those folks. It is easier than you think. Sometimes it starts with a smile. Remember my first blog entry discovering the powerful aspects of a smile? Go back and check it out.








I am going to put my soapbox away for now, but I challenge you to think positive thoughts on September 11th, fly your flag proudly, turn off the politician’s rhetoric for a day, and focus on some good deeds that can help others and display the true positive strength that we have as Americans. It is my plan and I when I lay my head down that night regardless of what the day brings, I will rest easy knowing that I made an honest effort toward the good. Good intentions either way. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist background to realize that if one good thing comes from it, then it is well worth the efforts... even the thoughts and the smiles.

Celebrate life! We are all in it and we are all doing it one day at a time!

Have a great day and stay positive!

Your Friend,

Stew, aka "Tony"

No comments: