Friday, November 24, 2006

Why again is it that we can only donate on Thanksgiving?

Every year the scenario is the same. We, the fortunate, gorge ourself on bird and trimmings and several assorted side dishes that we probably only eat on this one day of the year. Some families come together on this solitary day and live someone distant or "not as close" for the remaining 364 days of the year. Isn't it ironic that those you are most thankful for are not truly as close as maybe you once were.

OK. I know this sounds like a "self disclosure" and maybe it is a little. That may not be your picture to a tea, but I can safely say at one time in my life, it was probably close to mine. Just through conversations with others, I can guarantee that it resembles the situations of many more than I alone.

It is not a complete picture of my current world... but, at one time it was. But, then it donned on me one Thanksgiving, why in the world is it that I could be so grateful for the many relationships and the feel the share while I partake in the feast.

It doesn't take rocket science to realize that it is guilt! We are driven by the guilt of knowing the "shoulds".
1. We "should" be closer.
2. We "should" give to the needy.
3. We "should" be thankful for the fact that we are all capable of giving of ourself.

So, here is the personal pact that I made to myself some time ago. I would put forth "a little effort" to be closer to those in my circle, give when I can even if it is not right around Thanksgiving, and be more thankful for the people I have in my life and the things I have been blessed to receive.

Guilt... put in check!

No comments: